Monday, May 26, 2008

Stuck

Before the last 2 weeks, I had the most ridiculous run of poker at NL25 and then at NL50. In a course of a month, I turned my $50 at Pokerstars and $100 at Bodog into a combined $650. Along the way I cashed out of Bodog and moved it into Pokerstars so that I could start playing NL50 exclusively (still underrolled of course). I was feeling pretty good about myself, even having plans to move up to NL100 by the end of June and then maybe NL200 by December. I was on a roll.

Of course, now I'm on a downswing.

I'll be lucky if I'm not back at NL25 by the end of June, the deadline I had hoped to move up on. It's been 2 weeks of consistent losing, sprinkled with 2 days of slightly finishing up on the session. From a high point of $650, I'm now at $480. I promised myself I'd move back down to NL25 if I ever drop below $400 (bankroll management kuno). Great, that means I just have 1.5 buyins of NL50 left.

Here's a couple of steps I'm taking to help me stay in NL50:
1. Play less tables. I've been trying to get myself to playing 6 tables regularly, and even went up to 8 tables at 1 point. Although I do feel like I'm more focused and I play better with more tables, I should drop to 2-3 tables just to control the amount of my roll I'm putting into play.

2. Start at 60BB again. I made that run buying-in for only 60BB per table, the amount which I think is perfect for playing top pair hands. Once I reached $580+ I moved to buying-in in full and then always reloading once it dips slightly, just like they do in the poker training videos.

I noticed that at 100BB I'm more scared (and rightly so) to play single pair hands. Now that in itself isn't a bad thing, but I overdid it and turned my game into tight-passive where before I was tight-aggressive. Maybe playing mid-stacks will help me play better again. Easier to get the SPR I want on the hand and all that.

3. Start reading again. What the fuck Jino. Mom got me Harrington on Cash Games vol. 1 about 3 weeks ago and I still haven't read 2/3 of it! I was expecting to have finished vol. 2 by now. I have to finish vol 1 before she next flies to the US so I can ask her to get the next book by then.


Still hoping to move up to NL100 before the end of the year.

No comments: